Canso Causeway Quick Facts
The word Canso comes from the Mi'Kmaq word "Kamsok", which means opposite the lofty cliffs.
October 9, 1951 - Project Announced
May 1952 - The first contract for construction of the causeway was awarded
September 16, 1952 - Rock fill started.
December 10, 1954 - Cape Breton was permanently connected to the Mainland
December 31, 1954 - Rock fill completed.
April 18, 1955 - First train crosses the Causeway.
May 20, 1955 - First vehicular traffic crosses the Causeway.
August 13, 1955 - Official Opening of Causeway.
September 9, 1955 - First commercial vessel through the Canal.
• The length of the Causeway across water is 4500 feet.
• The surface width of the Causeway is 80 feet.
• The depth of the Causeway at its deepest point is 217 feet.
• The length of the Causeway Swing Bridge is 308 feet.
• The first means of transportation between the mainland and Cape Breton was a steam powered ferry and train barge called the S.S. Mulgrave.
• An additional ferry was purchased in 1901, the 'Scotia I', followed by the 'Scotia II' in 1915.
• The total cost of the causeway was estimated at $22,000,000.
• The rock used to build the causeway was blasted from quarries at Cape Porcupine.
• Some 10,092,000 tons of rock were used to close the Strait of Canso.
• Approximately 125,000 tons of rock came crashing to the ground with each blast.
• The causeway is 860 feet wide at the ocean floor (8 times the width of the crest).
• The causeway is shaped like an "S".
• The Canso Canal measures 1,870 feet long by 80 feet wide.
• Approximately 98,000 cubic yards of concrete was used to build the canal.
• The swing bridge measures 308 feet long.
• The causeway is lit by 57 light posts.
• The Canso Strait has been ice-free since the causeway was built.
Home | The Event | About The Causeway | Causeway Memories | Legacy | 50th Anniversary Society
© Canso Causeway 50th Anniversary Society